Friday, March 14, 2014

A hat knitting fool


I've been trying to find some knitting projects that will take me down the road to knitting a sweater. That's my ultimate goal, and I am determined to reach it. I found this hat from on Pinterest and really liked the scalloped stripes. The blog was in Dutch and the little bit that Google translated seemed that the pattern was for a child's hat. So I took to Ravelry and found the Varia hat from Dull Roar. In a split second I added that pattern to my cart and the next day headed out to the yarn shop. I decided on Cascade Pacific because it was easy to take care of and it's super soft and plush. I started on my hat that night. I was a little nervous about the color change. I had no idea how to do it, and charts in patterns freak me out. I worked the first band pretty quickly and saved the rest for a craft day, aka Crafterday, I had planned with a couple of girlfriends. My friend Hillary is a more experienced knitter than me and figured that she could help me. It was actually really easy. I finished the entire hat in only a couple days. It was so easy and fun to make!

This is actually the second  and third one I made because the first one was the wrong size and way too big. I decided to add a pom pom to the top cause who doesn't love a pom pom? I feel like Edward Scissorhands when I trim it. Maybe next time I'll try some topiary with them. My hat seems a little bit floppier than in the pattern picture. I don't know if it's the addition of the pom pom or if my gauge was off. I measured it but I don't really know what I'm doing so it's a definite possibility that gauge is the problem. My hat was hardly off my needles and my sister requested a hat for herself. She wanted a purple pom pom instead and I kind of like it better than the beige one on mine. I've made 3 so far and could probably get another one out of the yarn I bought, the pattern doesn't use much at all. It was so fun to make I ordered Weekend Hats in hopes of making some more.My next project is the Mandy Cardigan in a pretty gray/purple color.Wish me luck!

Jess  

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see your Cardigan! and I LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. You're the sweetest!