Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The hummingbirds have taken over

We've been lucky here is Washington to have some great weather the past couple weeks. I've been able to soak up some rays while doing homework on the deck. We've always had hummingbirds around our house, my mom has a feeder on the front and back deck for them. This year they seem to be most comfortable at our house. They whiz to and from all day even if we are sitting on the deck. They don't seem to be as afraid as they normally are. The even let us know when the feeder is getting low but flying pretty close and chirping away. I've really enjoyed getting to see them so close. But there seems to be a disagreement on the food sources. There is one orange and black one that thinks it belongs all to him. He has even resorted to sitting on the new hanging baskets and shooing off whoever comes close. 
I tried once before to get some pictures of them but it was in vain, they were nowhere to be found. Today I was sitting on the deck and they were in fine form, so I grabbed my camera and waited patiently and they decided to cooperate with me. Here is some of the picture I was able to get of them. 

This is our resident bully :)













I am really becoming fascinated with these little birds. They are really beautiful and I love looking at their little feet grabbing the feeder, so cute! I (like to) think that the brown and the green are mama and papa birds and they are flying off to feed their little babies. I'm so happy that these little guys are hanging around and becoming a part of our springtime.  
Jess

5 comments:

  1. WOW I can't believe you have hummingbirds just chillin at your house, thats so amazing! I've never even seen a hummingbird, I'm super jealous!! And your pictures made it even better, woweewowwow!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww how absolutely precious! Would love to see one up close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww how cute! i need to get some more nectar from mine and dig it out of storage. i love hummingbirds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so pretty - I love your pics! I'd love to snap a humming bird! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. You're the sweetest!