Monday, March 18, 2013

Madeleine baking

I spent my first two days of my spring break baking for a tea party my friends and I were throwing for a friend's wedding. I attempted to make macaroons, but it was a total fiasco. The second day I made some madeleines. It went much smoother than the macaroons. I love making them because they are super easy to make but they look fancy. I usually make spiced madeleines because they are my boyfriend's favorite, and I like spiced baked goods too. The only hitch is that you need a madeleine baking pan so they have the shell shape. I like this recipe because any flavor can be substituted for the spices. I have made orange madeleines using orange zest or chocolate ones using 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. They can be easily adapted to whatever you want them to be.
Getting ready
Action shot, thank goodness for stand mixers
Before
After-ta da!



Recipe
3/4 self rising flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground gloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup superfine sugar (this is really easy to find in the local grocery store)
1/3 cup melted butter
Confectioners' sugar, to dust (optional)
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
  • Butter and flour a madeleine pan (I don't do this because my pan is non stick. It doesn't hurt if I do but the cookies come out a little darker than I like.)
  • Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl
  • Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until tripled in volume and very thick, about 5 minutes 
  • Use a large rubber spatula to fold in the dry ingredients and melted butter until just blended
  • Spoon tablespoons of the batter into the prepared pan
  • Bake for 11-13 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch
  • Turn the madeleines out onto cooling racks
  • Dust with confectioners' sugar
Do you have any go to recipes that you love to make?
Jess

(original recipe found in The Golden Book of Baking. (which is a great cookbook with a TON of recipes)

2 comments:

  1. They turned out great!
    Thanks so much for stopping by my yarn along post and the sweet comment!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are so easy to make. I need foolproof recipes, haha.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. You're the sweetest!