Monday, March 25, 2013

Crochet book review

A few weeks ago I was browsing the book and magazine section at Joann's. I was excited when I spotted Cute & Easy Crochet by Nicki Trench. I've had it on my Amazon wish list for a while and since I had a 40% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket I snatched it up. 
When I got home I eagerly thumbed through all the projects and suddenly my project list was getting bigger and bigger. I haven't read all of the patterns but the ones that I did sounded and looked easy to do. If you have a basic knowledge of crochet these patterns will be easy to follow. I decided to start with the stripy wave pillow. I sit at the counter when I am doing my homework and the chair starts to hurt my rump after a while so I decided to make this to sit on. 
I started it on Saturday and here is my progress so far. It is a really simple pattern and works up really quick. After a couple rows I didn't even need to look at the pattern anymore. 
I didn't use the exact yarn it calls for in the book because, well, I'm on the poor side of life these days so I needed to use a cheaper yarn and some that was more readily available. I'm using worsted weight Lion brand yarn. I'm happy with it, it's feels pretty nice to the touch. I omitted the yellow strip that the pattern called for because Joann's didn't have a yellow that would have looked nice. I just kinda grabbed some yarn off the shelf but the more I work with it the more I love the colors. 

Like most craft books there are a few patterns that I wouldn't make. This book only has one, maybe two that I wouldn't make for myself. Possibly as gifts though. It has some basic how-to's in the beginning but I usually skip over those because I'm a lefty so they don't often make too much sense to me anyway. It is divided into 3 chapters that are organized by skill level. The photos of the projects are great. There are at least 2 pictures of each project, if not more. I'm really glad that I bought this one. If you are looking for a book that has easy, quick, and cute patterns then I defiantly recommend this one. 

Here is some of my favorite patterns that I'm itching to make:
I really like this tote bag! I am a sucker for a tote bag and I really don't need another one but you can never have to many, right??
How cute is this little clutch?! I love all the possibilities for lining that I cold use. I liked that this book has directions for adding lining to the bags if one were to choose to line it.
I think that this is a really pretty scarf, and I love the soft gray color that they picked. I think this will have to be made for next winter. 

All in all I am really happy that I bought this book. It is going to make a good addition to my hoard, um...I mean collection, of craft books. This is one that is going to get some good use. 

Do you have any favorite craft books?
Jess



*This is not a sponsored post. I bought the book myself and these are my opinions of the book. 



3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They could be cute on jars that hold sewing notions, like pins and buttons.

      Delete
  2. Hi,greetings from México, i´m going to try to do the brooch. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. You're the sweetest!